20 Second Timeout is the place to find the best analysis and commentary about the NBA.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Chauncey Billups' Pick for MVP? Kobe Bryant

Chauncey Billups is having an All-NBA caliber season and has received mention as an MVP candidate. I greatly respect Billups' game but have repeatedly said that he is not even clearly the best player on his own team, let alone in the entire league. Apparently, he agrees. Here is a Billups quote from an April 9 Tim Povtak column in the Orlando Sentinel ("Billups Brushes off MVP Chatter"): "I think it should be the best player in the league, and I think Kobe Bryant is the best player in the league. That's the way I always looked at the MVP Award." Povtak notes that while Billups is flattered to be considered Billups states simply, "That [his candidacy] proves they aren't looking at it like I do. I'm not the best player in the league. I know that. But I'm on a great team, and I'm the catalyst, and I'm having a great season. Voters are going to do what they want."

posted by David Friedman @ 2:58 AM

2 comments

2 Comments:

At Monday, September 04, 2006 1:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, he is on the USA Olympic team, which hopefully is going to Beijing, despite coming in third at the world championships.
Eric C.
Supplier of Chauncey Billups' Favorite Energy Drink!

 
At Monday, September 04, 2006 2:51:00 AM, Blogger David Friedman said...

Billups is a member of the 24 player pool from which the 12 man Olympic roster will be picked but that 12 man roster for 2008 has not been selected yet--nor has the U.S. earned a berth in the Olympics. Team USA must place in the top two of the Tournament of the Americas next summer in order to go to the 2008 Olympics although even if they fail to qualify at the ToA there is apparently some second chance bracket, but I'm not sure how that works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home