20 Second Timeout is the place to find the best analysis and commentary about the NBA.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Has Anyone Been a Basketball Hall of Fame Presenter More Times Than Julius Erving?

In 2011, I noted that Julius Erving had been a Basketball Hall of Fame presenter five times and I wondered if he held the record. I sought confirmation from both the NBA and the Basketball Hall of Fame. The NBA replied by suggesting that I contact the Basketball Hall of Fame and the Basketball Hall of Fame answered my original inquiry by stating that their records only went back to 2001 (which is strange for an organization that is supposed to preserve and celebrate the history of the sport). The Basketball Hall of Fame informed me that from 2001-2011, Erving, Dr. Jack Ramsay and Lou Carnesecca each served four times as a presenter.

In the past four years, Erving has been a presenter four more times--three times in 2012 (for Katrina McClain, Ralph Sampson and the All-American Red Heads) and once in 2015 (John Calipari). During his 16 year professional career, Erving was widely recognized as basketball's "ambassador" and it speaks volumes that nearly three decades after he retired various Basketball Hall of Fame inductees still tap him to be a presenter. Popularity is fleeting but hard-earned respect is timeless and it is clear that Erving has earned respect among the sport's elite.

Labels: ,

posted by David Friedman @ 1:28 AM

3 comments

3 Comments:

At Monday, October 26, 2015 8:11:00 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Hey David, I just wanted to thank you for your focus on Dr. J on your blog. I started reading your blog and beforehand, I knew of Dr. J as a great player and an innovator, but am far too young to have seen him play and wouldn't have figured him as a pantheon-level talent. I've been converted since! He's now one of favorite all-time players!

Excellent work as always.

 
At Monday, October 26, 2015 8:36:00 PM, Blogger David Friedman said...

Keith:

Thank you very much!

 
At Monday, October 26, 2015 10:03:00 PM, Blogger Nick said...

I second Keith's comments (though I have seen Doc play quite a bit). We may disagree on a few topics, but I've always appreciated your coverage of Dr J's under appreciated brilliance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home