20 Second Timeout is the place to find the best analysis and commentary about the NBA.

Monday, February 17, 2020

"Forever Mamba" Pays Tribute to Kobe Bryant

"Forever Mamba," a special tribute magazine for Kobe Bryant published by Lindy's, is available in stores now, and can also be ordered online from the Lindy's website: Lindy's Special Editions

Roland Lazenby, editor of Lindy's annual pro basketball preview magazine and author of numerous books--including Michael Jordan: The Life, Jerry West: The Life and Legend of a Basketball Icon, and Showboat: The Life of Kobe Bryant--edited "Forever Mamba." Lazenby also contributed three feature stories: "Kobe Bryant: Forever Mamba," "Fathers & Daughters," and "Heartbreak."

I wrote a feature titled "Kobe's Amazing Streaks and Big Games: 24 Indelible Memories From 20 Incomparable Years," and--though not mentioned in the masthead--I also selected the quotations for the "Outpouring of Grief for Kobe" feature (except for the quote from Kobe's widow Vanessa, which Vanessa released as a public statement after I had made my selections).

Michael Bradley wrote "Aces to Lakers."

Mike McGraw wrote "Air Balls and the Rise of No. 8," "The Three-Peat," "Most Valuable," and "Return to Glory."

Eric Pincus wrote "The Battle," and "The Moment."

Here is a picture of the cover:


Labels: , ,

posted by David Friedman @ 10:24 PM

6 comments

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:15:00 AM, Blogger JT said...

Thanks David, for linking this. I purchased a copy.

 
At Wednesday, February 26, 2020 11:03:00 PM, Blogger David Friedman said...

JT:

You're welcome.

 
At Thursday, February 27, 2020 1:38:00 AM, Anonymous Eric said...

David,

I'm commenting on this post now because I finally received my copy today in the mail (USPS struggled in delivering this by a week).

Anyways, I just wanted to say that this tribute was a very pleasant read. Your section on 24 moments were great and you gave a ton of great statistical nuggets that many other sources have never mentioned. I can say that you were definitely in the minority who rightfully gave respect and praise to Kobe when he was still playing and still with us. Thank you for that and providing me a plethora of basketball goodies to read in the past decade.

It's been now about a month since that tragic day, and I still can't accept/believe he's actually gone despite that massive memorial on 2/24. I think it will hit me the hardest once the Hall of Fame ceremony comes later this fall.

 
At Thursday, February 27, 2020 7:25:00 PM, Blogger David Friedman said...

Eric:

Thank you for buying a copy, and I appreciate your comments about my article.

The Hall of Fame ceremony this year will have a void without Kobe's presence, but I am sure that the organizers will pay tribute to him in a meaningful way.

 
At Thursday, February 27, 2020 11:26:00 PM, Anonymous Cyber said...

I ended up finding this at my local Books-A-Million earlier today, great tribute from all involved. Loved going through your section and reminiscing through his many career highlights.

As others have said thank you for your objective assessment of Kobe throughout his career. Compared to the many hit pieces of that time period your articles discussing Kobe during his days as the best player on the planet have aged gracefully

 
At Friday, February 28, 2020 12:09:00 AM, Blogger David Friedman said...

Cyber:

Thank you.

I am glad that you got a copy of the magazine. Writing that article was a labor of love, but also of disbelief, as the shock of Kobe Bryant's death still has not worn off. I vividly remember the times that I saw him play in person and interviewed him, and it is hard to accept that he is gone at such a young age, along with his daughter and everyone else who perished in the tragic helicopter crash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home