20 Second Timeout is the place to find the best analysis and commentary about the NBA.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Hold Off on the T-Mac Farewell Tour

Tracy McGrady says that TNT misunderstood his remarks about how long he intends to play NBA basketball. In my post about Houston's 101-100 win over the Chicago Bulls, I mentioned that he told TNT that he will retire after his current contract is up in order to spend more time with his family and/or play pro baseball. TNT showed a film clip of T-Mac saying words to that effect but I should have known something was fishy when I didn't actually hear the words "current contract" come out of T-Mac's mouth. It is important to understand that when TNT, ESPN or anyone else shows canned footage of someone talking that those 15 or 30 seconds are grabbed from a much longer interview. Sometimes, things get lost in translation or on the cutting room floor. After hearing about how TNT framed his comments, T-Mac told the Houston Chronicle that he does not even know for sure when his contract expires: "I said I'm playing baseball at the end of my career. I guess he took that as at the end of this contract, that was going to be it. Who knows? What is it, four or five years from now? Who knows? I'm not disputing that I said who knows. But I didn't say I'm done after this contract. I don't know how I'm going to feel four years from now."

posted by David Friedman @ 4:41 AM

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home