20 Second Timeout is the place to find the best analysis and commentary about the NBA.

Sunday, August 02, 2020

Rest in Peace, Mike Gale

One of the highlights of my writing career is having the opportunity to cover the NBA All-Star Weekend from 2005-2010—and many of my favorite All-Star Weekend memories are associated with the ABA Reunions held during several of those All-Star Weekends. I interviewed Mike Gale at the 2007 ABA Reunion in Las Vegas. Gale, a key rotation player for the 1974 ABA Champion New York Nets who twice made the ABA All-Defensive First Team (1973, 1974), passed away on Thursday at the age of 70.

Gale is at least the third ABA Reunion participant who I interviewed who has passed away. Warren Jabali passed away in 2012. Fatty Taylor, who organized the 2005 ABA Reunion, passed away in 2017. Also, Moses Malone passed away in 2015. I did not formally interview Malone, but I spoke with him at the 2005 ABA Reunion, and I took a photograph of him alongside Julius Erving that will always be a cherished moment and memory for me.

Here is my 2007 article about Mike Gale: Mike Gale's Journey from Elizabeth City State to the ABA Finals 

Gale, like almost every ABA player who I met at the ABA Reunions or on other occasions, was a friendly, perceptive, and enjoyable interview subject. I appreciate the way that he and the other ABA players welcomed me with open arms, and I hope that he rests in peace.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

posted by David Friedman @ 12:14 AM

2 comments

2 Comments:

At Sunday, August 02, 2020 8:38:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

David,

With Mike Gale's passing, jersey nerds like myself were reminded of the SI cover where he's wearing a Bullets jersey, inside out. I vaguely recall hearing about a similar situation where Doc and a few teammates had to wear the opposition's jerseys for a game. It may have been exhibition. Do you have any recollections of this?

Greg
@DrJStuff

 
At Sunday, August 02, 2020 11:41:00 AM, Blogger David Friedman said...

Greg:

I do not remember that happening with Doc and his teammates. Michael Jordan's jersey was stolen prior to a 1990 game versus Orlando, so Jordan wore 12 instead of 23 for that game.

The SI cover you referenced is from May 8, 1978.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home