20 Second Timeout is the place to find the best analysis and commentary about the NBA.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Warren Jabali in his own Words

I first met four-time ABA All-Star Warren Jabali at the ABA Reunion (here is my first person account of that event: http://www.hoopshype.com/articles/aba_friedman.htm) during the 2005 NBA All-Star Weekend in Denver. I had read and heard a lot about him, but I was most struck by the fact that he played forward at 6-2, outrebounding players who were six to eight inches taller; after I introduced myself to him the first thing that I asked him was how he did that and Jabali answered simply, "They couldn't jump." I looked at his face as he said this and realized that he was neither boasting nor trying to make a joke. He was offering the most direct, straightforward explanation possible.

By his own admission, Jabali did not say much to teammates or media during his playing career, but after the ABA Reunion I did a phone interview with him and discovered that he has a lot to say on a variety of issues. Jabali's thoughts about his reputation as a tough player, his criticism of how he is depicted in Terry Pluto's book Loose Balls and how he defines basketball greatness are included in my article about Jabali at Hoopshype.com, which you can find here: http://hoopshype.com/articles/jabali_friedman.htm

posted by David Friedman @ 6:50 PM

0 comments

links to this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home